Friday 7 February 2014

TUTORIAL: 07/02/14

I had a one-on-one tutorial with my Tutor, David Campany today to discuss where I currently am in the process of working out what I am going to do with this project. It was well needed as I was feeling quite confused by all the different ideas that I could potentially do. I discussed through my current idea of the feet and how you can tell what the person is like by the shoes that they are wearing. I had also been thinking about the idea of working this in with hands and the old stories/fables based around what you can tell about a person through looking at their hands. I still wanted to work this idea in with the disposable camera as this gives of ideas based around a self portrait as I would be interested in using these images as a self portrait, without the self. When discussing this, we weren't sure whether the detail would come across through using the disposable cameras because it wouldn't work if the images were filled with flash, possibly slightly blurred because for this idea it is very detail specific.

We went on to discuss idea 1, the idea where one camera is given to one person along with a detailed list of instructions and the images that are then received, effectively become the portrait of that person. When discussing this idea it felt as though it had a lot more grounds to work on and that it could work a lot better. We discussed the idea of giving 9 cameras out to 9 different people, as I really like the idea of this number in a grid format. I would then show it in 27 different grids showing each of the images that each person has produced. To effectively allow the audience to form an opinion on each person, their space in the grid will say the same throughout and by doing this you allow them to walk through and process each of the images in a certain way while comparing the result of that particular person with the rest of the subjects. The question will be shown alongside each of the grids.

When thinking about other ways of which this could be displayed, we discussed how well that having this in a book format could work. Through having the grids on a page it allows the audience to view it in a more specific way, it is right there in front of them and they can flick between the pages much easier to make comparisons. I really like the idea of this context and this could work really well alongside the exhibition.

When thinking about other ways it could be displayed within a gallery context, there is always the possibility of showing it using a projection. Showing the question and showing the images following. This gives myself as the power in choosing how the audience view the work and so it is much more specific. I'm not sure which way I will go with exactly but I think this will become much more obvious once I have the images in front of me.

No comments:

Post a Comment